|Aerial view New York City, 2019: Pinterest|
|Aerial view New York City: Professor Howdy|
I was in Manhattan, the Bronx and Newark, New Jersey, for about half a week in 2002. Highlights:
• Viewing the old East Coast, concrete buildings.
• Touring the top of the Empire State Building.
• At the Empire State Building: Meeting two 'Jersey Shore?' young ladies from New Jersey via Christian Cafe, that could not wait to leave, stating that my friend Documentary Man was (paraphrased) 'weird'. I doubt they loved me either (we were too intellectual and too Christian).
• Touring the Hudson River and seeing the Statue of Liberty via Ellis Island.
• The Manhattan bus tour, including seeing the United Nations Building and Madison Square Garden.
• Attending a Christian church in Manhattan on a Sunday.
• Having French food at a Manhattan restaurant.
• Seeing 'Ground Zero'; this was a sombre and sad highlight.
• Seeing Documentary Man, a direct decedent of Oliver Cromwell asked if he 'spoke English' by a Manhattan, Burger King employee.
• Viewing and somewhat taking part in a religious debate, outside of a McDonald's, fueled by Documentary Man and a Manhattan, Hare Krishna.
• Ironically, years later, Documentary Man's Facebook profile photos look sort of Hare Krishna (ish). He still looks sharp and 'professory'.
• Viewing the Arizona Diamondbacks @ New York Yankees at the Bronx and the former Yankee Stadium.
• Being told by a Yankee Stadium employee to take my sunglasses off and read the sign that there was no cases or bags allowed. Informing him, I was new there and from Canada; he directed me to a storage facility across the street. So, my case was fine just across the street? $$$
• Being villainized by a Manhattan taxicab driver for not tipping high enough...(Documentary Man).
• Central Park was okay, but I have been to more impressive parks in Canada and the United Kingdom. The United States and Europe, too.
• A regret for me is not focusing on and visiting New York book stores at the time. Now, I order some books from a Manhattan book store. Perhaps purchasing books I could have bought for less money 17 years ago. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb (Beethoven).